How to Calculate Taxes on a booking
If the property you are handling bookings for is set to use Sales Tax, then taxes are not calculated automatically, but are triggered automatically every time the status of the booking changes and manually by pressing the calculate taxes button on the booking page.
Note: It is important to ensure tax calculations are up to date before sending any customer documents. You can always check the date of the last tax calculation by looking at the “Tax Last Calculated Date” field on the booking.
Which taxes are applied to a booking?
During Thynk onboarding, property admins set up tax groups for each property based on the tax group types that are applicable. The standard options are just default and exempt. By default, every booking will have the default tax group for the booking’s dates applied to the booking. As a sales manager, if you need to make a tax exemption for a certain government or nonprofit customer, you can simply change the tax group type to exempt when creating the booking. If you forget, you can always modify it on the booking and simply recalculate taxes.
How do I ensure taxes are calculated correctly?
1. From a booking, click on New to add a booking product
2. Type "food"
3. Click on the food product
4. Click on Save
5. See that Sales Price Incl. Tax is set to $0
6. Return to the booking
7. Click on Calculate Tax
8. Refresh the booking products list to find your product
9. Click on Food
10. See that Sales Price incl. Tax is now calculated
11. Click on Edit Unit Price to discount the product
12. Type "28"
13. Click on Save
14. See that Sales price incl. tax returns to $0
15. Return to booking
16. Click on Calculate Tax
17. Click on Food
18. See that Sales price incl. tax has been recalculated to reflect new discounted price